ad

Monday, June 28, 2010

Sports Junkies And My Addictions

Summer.
This is a difficult time of the year for me because I can't get the sports fix I need. Sure major league baseball is in the middle of their endless summer run but since we don't have a major league team here in Utah I don't have the passion for a team like I do for the Jazz or Utes. Now don't get me wrong I still have a plethora of choices for my addictions, it's just not the same as from August training camp to NBA springtime playoffs.
I will have to admit the following:

Yes I did watch the USA soccer team in the World Cup. You knew immediately what was on, the steady hum or buzz or whatever sound those annoying uvuzelas make gave notice that you were watching something completely different. It was very difficult to stay focused on the match and I found myself clicking back and forth between the US Open at Pebble, or later, the College World Series featuring a TCU team that was enjoying a dream season. The channel stayed on the latter two mostly but I still managed to keep track of the soccer during commercials and what they call extra time, (I call nut cuttin time), for the US team.
USA lost to Ghana and is out, TCU lost to UCLA in a blow out to get to the finals of the CWS, and a Northern Irishman won the US Open. Not exactly thrilling stuff but something to feed the addiction.




There were a few significant events splashed in the middle of the last few weeks. Utah being invited and excepting to become a member of the PAC-10 and the NBA draft. Both of these have enormous implications and helped ease the pain of being in between seasons. (I love the Hayward pick for the Jazz).

My most guilty pleasure, which will be kept just between us, is NASCAR. I have a driver that I follow and a weekly wager that keeps my attention to the circuit. I don't understand why I watch it but believe it or not I am hooked, I actually enjoy it. I don't know what that says about me but I do know that ESPN  reports on it, has a half hour show dedicated to it, and broadcasts a large portion of the years races.
So shut up!

I have other friends who seem to have the same addictions as myself. The last twenty or so years we gathered at the local pub, watched and wagered on all types of sporting events, even to the point we would bet on who would win the girls pool tournament happening right at the bar. What fun was had by all.
As addicts we keep our spirits up by having bragging rights to rivals.  Some are life long fans and others are homers. The true lifelong fan has little use for the homers as they claim bragging rights to whatever team is playing well at the time. These people are very easy to spot because they have NO knowledge of their teams history, players, coaches, and usually the dedicated lifers know more about the homers supposed teams than they do.

So to my fellow addicts and sports sufferers keep your chin up, step off the ledge, NFL and college camps begin in five weeks and I will keep you posted on the happenings. In the meantime try a shot of Nascar, watch the MLB All Star game, knock down a few golf tournaments, keep an eye on the box scores so when September and October roll around baseball games will become interesting again.

1 comment:

  1. I think you should utilize my post and offer this link to others to enjoy:

    http://lacimouritsen.blogspot.com/2010/05/while-driving-to-work-wednesday.html

    ReplyDelete