ad

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Just A Thought On My Favorite Sports Movies

After talking with some friends about sports movies and their likes and dislikes I was surprised to find out that they did not have a favorite. What was even more surprising was they have not seen quite a few of the more popular or off beat movies which have been on my list of favorites for a long time.

So I decided to list my top ten sports movies of all time. My list will generally lean towards fictional stories because I want to have fun watching a movie or be moved in one way or another. Dark depressing movies bring me down and I would rather not watch those types of shows.
So here is my list starting with number one with a few thoughts of why I enjoyed them. Feel free to comment on your favorites if they did not make my list.

1. Tin Cup

Hands down a kick in the ass fun ride from start to finish. Whoever cast this movie hit the nail on the head. The story line is so off the beaten path that it surprises you as the story progresses. I have no other show that I reference quotes in my day to day happenings as this movie. If you have not seen this movie I say run, don't walk, to your nearest Blockbuster. "Greatness courts failure Romeo" - Roy McAvoy


2. Bull Durham

It is no surprise that Kevin Costner is in three of my top ten sports movies but the actor is not the reason I love these shows. I think he saw great scripts and seem to fit the part perfectly. Bull Durham like Tin Cup is one of the many shows that I will come across while clicking through channels and even if the show is partially over, I will watch to the end again.



3. Hoosiers

This one speaks for itself. Everyone loves an underdog and this is the ultimate underdog story, in my humble opinion.




4. Invincible

I had no idea what this movie was about at the time I watched it. I happened upon it while channel surfing and did not even know that it was a true story. The cast was spot on and the music came from my high school era. Another underdog movie but the fact it was true made it even better.


5. A League of Their Own

Tom Hanks. What a great story but even better than the story was Hanks acting. They keep saying that he is the Jimmy Stewart of our time and I could not agree more. If you don't have this movie in your top ten you may need to watch it again to appreciate the job Hanks did.
Rosie Odonell makes perfect sense now that we know which gender she prefers. Watch her and it answers a lot of questions.



6. Remember The Titans

Great movie, wonderful story. The racial stuff was a bit overblown but understandable considering the story line. Still a feel good movie.







7.  Field of Dreams

Would have been higher but Costners wife in the movie irritated the hell out of me. But all the same a great movie. More about the relationship between father and son than baseball but was brought together in a very unique way.
James Earl Jones is fantastic along with Burt Lancaster.

8. The Longest Yard

The original was very well done. Out of all of the Burt Reynolds movies this has to be considered one of his best. The casting once again was wonderful. The start of the movie has Reynolds taking off in his girlfriends Jag to the music of Lynyrd Skynyrd set the tone for the show and did not let up until the end. Very good fun stuff!


9. Cinderella Man

This sometimes moody boxing movie keeps giving. It's rags to riches to rags story is so well told and Russel Crowe is great. This one is a must see.
This is the only boxing movie in my top ten, (or even top fifty), because the Rocky movies were shallow, it was amazing they made five sequels. Raging Bull was way to depressing for me to enjoy.

10. Talledega Nights - The Legend of Ricky Bobby

Ok this is my guilty pleasure pick. If you can't escape your worries for a few hours watching this show there is something wrong with you, (my wife hates
Will Ferrel and won't watch this with me...hmmmm).
If you want to laugh your ass off you have to watch the extra features on the DVD. The outtakes are some of the funniest you will ever see.
Turn off your brain and enjoy this one!

That's the list, let me know your favorites in the comments section at the end of this blog.
Others receiving consideration would be Caddy Shack, The Natural, Friday Night Lights, We Are Marshall, Slap Shot, and Brian's Song. I have not seen Pride of the Yankees so I could not list it.

3 comments:

  1. "There's NO crying in baseball!"
    I LOVE A League of Their Own, and of course Tin Cup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can you POSSIBLY omit Happy Gillmore? Excellent list - I say Cinderella Man gets bumped for Happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Okay now waggle".... "oooh he's got her waggling now"

    ReplyDelete